1949 MG TC
MG is one of the world’s most iconic motoring brands. Founded in 1924 by Cecil Kimber, MG (which are the initials for Morris Garages) produced some fabulous cars pre war and enjoyed much success in motoring racing. A milestone for the company occurred in 1933 when an MG Magnette K3 became the first non-Italian car to win its class at the Mille Miglia.
Today when someone mentions MG you immediately think of ‘the affordable, everyman’s sports car’, and particularly the MGB. It was, however, post World War II that MG really brought the sports car to the people with the MG TC. The MG TA (built from 1936 – 1939) and MG TB (built from 1939 – 1940) were well regarded sports cars, but sold only in relatively small numbers. Introduced in 1945 the MG TC was in fact a very similar car to the MG TB, both visually and also mechanically sharing the same 1250 cc engine but with a slightly higher compression ratio. Whilst only built as right hand drive America fell in love with the MG TC and many cars were sold to American serviceman serving in the UK and Europe at the end of the war. In fact everyone loved the TC and cars were sold to all points of the globe! Over six years of production MG sold 10,000 MG TC’s.
The MG TC was succeeded by the MG TD in 1945 and circa 30,000 cars were built before being replaced by the MG TF in 1953. Just under 10,000 TF’s were built of which one third had the 1500 cc engine. The T Series MG’s were replaced by the MGA in 1955.
Oldtimer Australia is delighted to offer for sale this lovely 1949 MG TC. This particular car is confirmed by the MG TC Registry as being completed on the 26th May 1949 and it is understood to have been sold new in Australia.
The car’s early history is not definitively known, however, it is understood to have lived in south east Queensland most of its life. A note on file from possibly the car’s first owner makes the comment “. . . if my memory serves me correct the original registration number was Q477260”. This makes sense as this registration plate is from 1949 or 1950. He gifted the car to a friend in 2008 who lived on the Atherton Tablelands. Its new owner enjoyed the car for a short time and it was then offered for sale in the August 2010 issue of Just Cars magazine.
The car’s previous owner acquired the car in October 2010 and it formed part of a large collection in country Victoria. It was used sparingly, as confirmed by him and evidenced by the Club Permit log books. When acquired in 2010 there was an issue with car’s starter motor which had jammed. Unfortunately the engine was damaged when the car was being transported to its new owner. An insurance claim followed and the engine was fully rebuilt by the MG Workshops in Melbourne. At the time the owner took the opportunity to go through the car mechanically and spent in excess of $30,000.
Since being acquired by Oldtimer Australia this car has been tidied up cosmetically and today it presents beautifully in the striking colour combination of black, with off white wheels and a dark red interior / soft top. The dash board has recently been refurbished and some of the exterior trim which was lightly pitted has been replaced with new.
TC’s have a reputation as being somewhat pedestrian to drive, however, this example must have had its engine ‘worked’ as it pulls strongly through the gears and it performs really well out on the open road. In fact is quite a delight to drive! The gearbox also shifts smoothly and the car handles and stops pretty well.
This is a beautifully presented car in an absolutely stunning colour combination that is mechanically sorted and ready for its next owner to enjoy.
An original Instruction Manual and good history file will accompany the car.
Listed Price AUD $42,500