/Cars Listings/1955 Aston Martin DB2/4/

1955 Aston Martin DB2/4

Cl
Classified Add

Bonhams 1793

Auction Sale

auction € 370,000 - 420,000

Description

1955 Aston Martin DB2/4 Mk II DHCCoachwork by TickfordChassis no. AM300/1101

David Brown's acquisition of Tickford Ltd in 1953 led to bodywork for the revised Aston Martin DB2/4 Mark II being manufactured by the Newport Pagnell coachbuilder. The Aston six had been enlarged from 2.6 to 3.0 litres during production of the DB2/4 and continued unchanged, though a special series VB6J engine suffixed 'L' or 'L1' and producing 165bhp was an option. DB2/4 Mark II chassis numbers ranged from '1101' to '1299', a total of 199 cars. The Mark II was produced up to October 1957; saloons accounted for the majority, with 15 built as drophead coupés, 34 as fixed-head coupés, and four supplied as chassis only.

The rare Aston Martin offered here is the first of the 15 drophead coupés built on the DB2/4 Mark II chassis, of which nine were right-hand drive like this example. According to the accompanying copy Guarantee Form, 'AM300/1101' left the factory in October 1955 and was first used as a demonstrator by the Aston Martin main dealer, Brooklands of Bond Street. The original colour combination was black with red Connolly hide interior, the same as it is today, while the original registration was '162 GMC', again the same as today. The Aston Martin Owners Club Register confirms that '1101' was the prototype of the DB2/4 Mark II, and that it was equipped from new with the special series engine 'VB6J/624/L1' (which it retains). The factory fitted twin exhausts in 1957.

The Aston's first private owner, to whom it was sold in August 1956, is recorded as C P G Engelbach of Shipley, Worcestershire, who was followed by Lt Col John E Madison of California, USA from 13th May 1966. A copy of the US military title on file shows that Madison bought the car from Keen & Partners Ltd of Wimbledon, London SW10, its owners since October 1965. The Aston later it found its way to Switzerland where it was restored by respected Aston Martin Heritage dealer and restorer, Roos Engineering, undertaken between 2001 and 2002. The total cost of this restoration exceeded CHF 126,000. Copies of the invoices are on file and the car also comes complete with tool kit, instruction manual, and a UK V5C Registration Certificate.

The current custodian purchased '1101' in 2003, shortly after the rebuild's completion, via the highly respected Lukas Hüni AG in Zürich. Since then the Aston has rarely been used and warrants close inspection. With only some 15 dropheads built of the DB2/4 Mark II chassis, this is a rare Aston Martin indeed and one that would be a significant addition to any important private collection.

Aston Martin DB2/4 Mark II cabriolet 1955Carrosserie TickfordChâssis n° AM300/1101,
moteur n° VB6J/624/L1

•Le prototype de la DB2/4 Mark II•L'un des neuf cabriolets à conduite à droite•Rare modèle de carrossier•Numéros concordants•Immatriculation au Royaume-Uni d'origine

Le rachat de Tickford Ltd par David Brown en 1953 entraina la construction de la carrosserie de la nouvelle Aston Martin DB2/4 Mark II par le carrossier de Newport Pagnell. Le six cylindres Aston Martin avait été porté de 2,6 litres à 3 litres au cours de la production de la DB2/4 et restait inchangé, bien qu'une série spéciale du moteur VB6J avec un suffixe L ou L1 développant 165 ch ait été proposé en option. Les numéros de châssis des DB2/4 Mark II vont de 1101 à 1299, soit un total de 199 voitures. La Mark II fut produite jusqu'en octobre 1957, les coupés représentant la majorité, avec 15 cabriolets construits, 34 coupés hardtop, et quatre voitures fournies en châssis nu.

L'exceptionnelle Aston Martin proposée ici est le premier des 15 cabriolets construits sur châssis DB2/4 Mark II, dont neuf étaient des conduites à droite, comme cet exemplaire. Selon le formulaire de garantie de l'usine fourni, AM300/1101 a quitté l'usine en octobre 1955 et a d'abord été utilisée comme voiture d'essai par Brooklands de Bond Street, le plus gros concessionnaire Aston Martin. La livrée d'origine était noire avec intérieur en cuir Connolly rouge, comme aujourd'hui, et l'immatriculation originelle était 162 GMC, qu'elle conserve encore aujourd'hui. L'Aston Martin Owners Club Register confirme que 1101 était le prototype de la DB2/4 Mark II et qu'elle était équipée d'origine avec le moteur de la série spéciale VB6J/624/L1 qui est toujours présent. Un échappement double fut installé par l'usine en 1957.

Le premier propriétaire particulier de l'Aston auquel elle fut vendue en août 1956, est enregistré au nom de C. P. G. Engelbach de Shipley, dans le Worcestershire, suivi par le lieutenant-colonel John E. Madison de Californie, aux États-Unis, à partir du 13 mai 1966. Le titre militaire américain au dossier montre que Madison a acheté la voiture à Keen & Partners Ltd de Wimbledon, Londres SW10, son propriétaire depuis octobre 1965. L'Aston prit plus tard le chemin de la Suisse, où elle fut restaurée par le concessionnaire et restaurateur d'Aston Martin Heritage, Roos Engineering, entre 2001 et 2002. Le coût total de cette restauration dépasse les 126 000 francs suisses. Les factures figurent au dossier et la voiture est également vendue avec sa trousse à outils, son manuel d'entretien et son certificat d'immatriculation UK V5C.

Son actuel propriétaire a acheté 1101 en 2003, peu après l'achèvement de sa restauration, chez le très réputé Lukas Hüni AG de Zürich. Depuis, l'Aston a été rarement utilisée et mérite une attention particulière. Avec seulement 15 cabriolets construits sur châssis DB2/4 Mark II, il s'agit d'une Aston Martin vraiment rare et une de celles qui ferait un complément indispensable à n'importe quelle collection privée.

Find this original car listing at Classic Driver