1933 Alvis Speed 20
Alvis introduced the Speed 20 in 1932, and in doing so, created one of the best loved cars of the Pre-War era. The all new, low slung, double drop chassis gave the car a sporting look that was backed up by the 2.5 litre, 6-cylinder engine which had overhead valves, triple SUs and gave 90 h.p and a top speed of 90+ mph!
‘The new Alvis Speed Twenty is the type of car which looks right, feels right and is right. From the driver's point of view the controls are all just where they are required and the power, speed and acceleration provided by the "hotted-up" but, nevertheless, silky six-cylinder engine are literally an eye-opener to anyone accustomed to driving about in a more or less sedate manner in ordinary motor cars of medium size.' - Motor magazine March 1932.
CG 4871 was first registered on July the 1st, 1933, by Scotts of Southampton. It carries the very elegant ‘long-wing’ touring body by Cross and Ellis, 1 of 6 believed to be made. CG4871 went on to spent a number of years in the USA from 1968 when it was owned by the renowned Triumph Motorcycle man Rod Coates who started the rebuild but due to the onset of Alzheimer's disease the car was not finished. It was eventually sold in 1984 to “Mac” McGrady, a keen collector of Nash Healeys among other things, who owned the car until 1995. It then passed through two others before the current owner acquired it in 2001.
The current owner had CG 4871 comprehensively rebuilt mechanically by Earley Engineering after which it was completely stripped down to its bare chassis and had a full frame and body rebuild by Tim Hastings and Brian Martin, artisans located at the world famous Old Vicarage in South Stoke, Oxfordshire. There is a large file of photos to show how complete and beautifully they did the job.
In 2014 the car was sold to the current owner who was intent on the car being absolutely perfect, as a result the engine was completely rebuilt by renowned marque specialists, Tim Walker Restorations. The brakes were totally stripped and rebuilt with specialist brake shoes using a modern compound for more effective braking performance. The steering was also removed and rebuilt. The owner at the time was very keen to use the car for touring and a bespoke overdrive unit was made and fitted by Tim Payne Overdrives. After some very happy motoring the owner has decided to focus his collection more on Post War cars and has asked us to find her a new home. This really is a beautiful example of a hugely underrated and undervalued Pre War sports car and is ideal for touring and rallies, or just a trip to the pub!