1926 Morris Oxford
From a deceased's estate1926 Morris Oxford 13.9hp Two-seater plus DickeyRegistration no. DK 3548Chassis no. D132709
One of the best known and most readily recognised Vintage cars, the 'Bullnose' Oxford had its roots in the Edwardian era. The first examples, fitted with 8.9hp White & Poppe engines, were manufactured in 1913, embodying Morris' successful formula of offering technically unexciting but well built and well equipped cars at a bargain price. The Oxford and its close relation, the Continental-engined Cowley, evolved gradually, both models switching to engines made by Hotchkiss' Coventry subsidiary in 1919. A close copy of the Continental, the Hotchkiss engine was made in 1,548cc, 11.9hp form initially, a larger (1,802cc) 13.9hp version becoming available in 1923. A more conventional flat-fronted radiator replaced the distinctive 'Bullnose' type in late 1926, by which time four-wheel brakes had become standardised on the Oxford chassis. All-steel bodies, built under licence granted by the American Budd concern, were another new introduction that year. Easy to drive and maintain, the Bullnose Oxford was Britain's most popular car prior to the arrival of the Austin Seven.
This example was purchased by the lady vendor's late husband in 2016 and last used in 2018. Dry stored since then, the Morris is presented generally good condition, though careful re-commissioning and the usual safety checks are advised before returning it to the road. The car is offered with a V5C document and a substantial history file (perusal recommended).