1960 Maserati 3500 - GT
1960 Maserati 3500GT Coupe, The main development efforts that led to the 3500 GT were carried out in 1956–57, despite the frantic activity required by Maserati's participation in the Formula 1 world championship. Alfieri modified the 350S's engine to suit a touring car, e.g. by switching to a wet sump oil system and changing the engine accessories. He also made several business trips to the United Kingdom in order to contact components suppliers. None were found in Italy, as Italian taxation system and the industry structure forced manufacturers to design every part in-house; a daunting task for small companies like Maserati. Thus the 3500 GT alongside Italian Weber carburettors and Marelli ignition, used many British-made components such as a Salisbury rear axle, Girling brakes and Alford & Alder suspension parts. Next came the bodywork. According to Carrozzeria Touring's Carlo Felice Bianchi Anderloni it was Commendatore Franco Cornacchia, a prominent Ferrari dealer, that put in contact Maserati owner Omar Orsi with the Milanese Carrozzeria. The first 3500 GT Touring prototype had a 2+2 body, with Superleggera construction and was white in colour; it was nicknamed Dama Bianca (White Lady). Two 3500 GT prototypes were shown at the March 1957 Salon International de l'Auto in Geneva. Both had a 2,600 mm (102.4 in) wheelbase and aluminium bodywork; they were Touring's Dama Bianca, and another one by Carrozzeria Allemano. Touring's proposal was chosen for series production few changes were made to it, chiefly a more imposing grille. Chassis 1154 Left the Maserati Factory in October 1960 destined for Signor Emilio Pallavicino of the Automobil Club d'italia Firenze. Beautifully restored in its original Nero colour scheme, this 3500GT oozes Italian chic and style!